Thursday, February 5, 2015

52 Weeks to a Clean House: Week 6 - If I Don't Come Out, Send a Search Party!

Home Office Space

I am loving the organized kitchen, and we are happily maintaining clear counters and clean sinks (no dirty dishes piling up!) The whole family is on board, and it is great. That almost gives me enough courage to tackle the catch-all space we call the "office."   There are lots of reasons to tackle this space next. The biggest reason is that this space is probably the most difficult space in the house. I believe if I am able to get this room organized and functional, then the rest of the house will be much, much easier.

My kitchen flows in one straight line into my dining room. It is all one big room. We did that intentionally when we remodeled, and I love it. At the dining room, however, the space turns north 90 degrees forming an L-shape. It is this northern open area that is our family disaster area. It holds books, scrapbooking supplies, photos, files, magazines, crafts, school supplies, office supplies, family history records, the home computer, and more. It is used by the entire family.

Books, scrapbooks, Lego and more!

 There are also some boxes.  What is in those boxes? I am not quite sure. But I am sure they all contain PAPER. Paper is my nemesis. Getting control of the tornado of paper that swirls through my home would be a major accomplishment and a big improvement in my life.

Dreaded pile of boxes

Since tax season is upon us, and since the papers needed for me to work on those tax returns are somewhere in this space, I figure it is time to go to work. I wish the documents I needed had a tracking beacon, but I know they are in here somewhere.

Photos (at least they are in boxes by year!)

I am planning to work through my office using organizer Julie Morgenstern's SPACE acronym.  SPACE stands for Sort, Purge, Assign a home, Containerize, and Equalize.  Today my goal is to sort and purge at least one of those annoying boxes. I have a feeling the office will take longer than the kitchen, but I am trying to stay optimistic.

Someone's projects.

If you don't hear from me the next week or so, send out a search party. I am lost in a mountain of paper!

Do you deal with paper clutter effectively in your home? What are your best tips?

Great link to tips on using the SPACE system

6 comments:

  1. If you need a place to put those Lego modulars, you can send them to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it. I have a feeling I would have one unhappy teen if I sent the modulars away, though. Lego is highly prized in this household!

      Delete
  2. LOL. Just tackle your office decluttering the same way you would eat an elephant...one bite at a time. :) Good luck! (And never give up.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have sorted 2 boxes and one file drawer so far, and there has been a lot of shredding going on. I am actually feeling more hopeful, now that I have started.

      Delete
    2. Good for you! I always find purging clutter from my life cathartic. And think of all the lovely space you're freeing up!

      Delete
  3. You can do it! I am now wanting/needing to do the same in my studio/office. Huge purge will be the first necessity.

    ReplyDelete